OCC Bulletin 2014-3| February 12, 2014
Retirement Plan Products and Services: Comptroller's Handbook Revisions and Rescissions
Chief Executive Officers and Asset Management Personnel of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations, Department and Division Heads, All Examining Personnel, and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today the “Retirement Plan Products and Services” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook. This updated booklet replaces a similarly titled booklet issued in December 2007.
This booklet provides updated guidance to examiners and bankers on retirement plan products and services offered to customers of national banks and federal savings associations; explains the risks inherent in such products and services; and provides a framework for managing those risks.
Specifically, this booklet
- updates examination procedures and groups them by risk. The expanded examination procedures supplement the core assessment standards in the “Large Bank Supervision” and “Community Bank Supervision” booklets of the Comptroller’s Handbook.
- updates references and adds a list of abbreviations.
- adds references to recent significant U.S. Department of Labor regulations and policy issuances.
- adds a discussion of Bank Secrecy Act/anti-money laundering and Regulation R.
- adds a discussion of board and senior management responsibilities regarding oversight of risk management.
With the issuance of the “Retirement Plan Products and Services” booklet, the following OCC guidance is made applicable to federal savings associations:
- OCC Bulletin 2006-24, “Interagency Agreement on ERISA Referrals: Information Sharing Between the FFIEC Agencies and the DOL” (June 1, 2006)
- OCC Bulletin 2007-7, “Soft Dollar Guidance: Use of Commission Payments by Fiduciaries” (February 5, 2007)
- OCC Bulletin 2008-10, “Fiduciary Activities of National Banks: Annual Reviews of Fiduciary Accounts Pursuant to 12 CFR 9.6(c)” (March 27, 2008)
Note for Community Banks
This booklet applies to all banks that provide retirement plan products and services.
With the issuance of this booklet, the following publication has been rescinded:
- OTS Trust and Asset Management Handbook, section 160, “Introduction to Individual Retirement Accounts,” May 2010.
For further information, contact Judi McCormick, Bank Examiner, Credit and Market Risk Division, at (202) 649-6415 or email@example.com or (202) 649-6360.
John C. Lyons Jr.
Senior Deputy Comptroller and Chief National Bank Examiner